A balanced diet is key to a hamster’s wellbeing. Here are the elements of an optimal hamster diet:
- High Quality Hamster Food Mix – Select a commercial hamster food blend and feed 1-2 teaspoons daily. Look for at least 18% protein and 5% fat content.
- Timothy Hay or Fresh Grass – Offer a pinch of timothy hay or organic grass 1-2 times per week. Provides fiber and enrichment.
- Pellets – Supplement with timothy hay-based guinea pig pellets which contain vitamin C hamsters need.
- Vegetables – Some veggies to rotate through include cucumber, carrot, broccoli, kale, spinach and zucchini. Feed 1-2 teaspoons daily.
- Fruits – Good fruits options are apple, blueberries, strawberries and banana. Provide about 1 tablespoon of chopped fruit daily.
- Treats – Healthy treats include plain yogurt, boiled egg white, plain cheerios and unsweetened cereal. Offer treats in moderation.
- Fresh Clean Water – Provide unlimited fresh water in a drip bottle at all times. Change water daily.
- Avoid Junk Food – Do not feed high fat, high sugar junk foods which can cause obesity and illness.
Following these diet guidelines ensures your hamster receives balanced daily nutrition to thrive.