Roborovski hamsters are the smallest of all hamster species, but they pack lots of personality. Here’s a look at their unique traits:
- Tiny Size – Robos grow to about 2 inches in length. Their diminutive size makes them ideal for small living spaces.
- Speedy – Roborovskis earned the nickname “robos” for their lighting fast speed. They can sprint up to 9 mph on their exercise wheels!
- Coloring – Most have sandy brown fur with white undersides, feet, and facial markings. Some color variations like albino roborovskis also exist.
- Social Nature – Robos thrive living with other Robo hamsters. Littermates generally cohabitate well when introduced properly.
- Habitat Needs – These active hamsters require extra floor space and horizontal tube setups they can zoom through at top speeds.
- Burrowers – In the wild Robos burrow deep underground. Be sure to provide at least 6 inches of loose bedding for tunneling.
- Temperature – Hailing from desert regions, Robos are heat sensitive. Keep their habitat at a steady 68-72°F.
- Long Lived – With excellent care, Roborovski hamsters can live up to 3-4 years, longer than most other hamster species.
Roborovskis make delightful, animated pets for their energy and petite size.